Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Kara's Reading Goals for 2012

Here are twelve books which I hope to read this year.

Two books outside my comfort zone:

The Elements by Theodore Gray

The Histories by Herodotus (or something else about ancient history)

Two memoirs:

An American Childhood by Annie Dillard Finished in May

Finding God Beyond Harvard by Kelly Monroe Kullberg Finished in January

Two books about parenting:

To Train Up a Child
by Michael and Debi Pearl Finished in February

Instructing a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp

Two books out of curiosity:

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

My brother-in-law, and now my sister, keep talking about this! Finished in February

God So Loved the World by Elizabeth Goudge Gave up!
Maybe this will help me understand her theology.

Two books by Wilsons:

Mother Kirk by Douglas Wilson Finished

Notes from the Tilt-a Whirl by N.D. Wilson
Finished in January

Two lonely books in need of a mate:

Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon Gave up.

The Green Earth by Luci Shaw Finished

4 comments:

Mark Nenadov said...

I just watched the Notes from the Tilt-a Whirl film and it is GREAT. I highly recommend you check that out too!!

Suzannah said...

Another list, hurray!

-We all read Herodotus as part of our homeschooling. It is quite entertaining, much more so than Plutarch or Livy.
-It would be interesting to hear your slant on the Pearls' book. People I respect very highly respect the Pearls, but every time I hear people mentioning things they learned from this particular book I blanch in terror.
-H'mm. I have been considering reading To Say Nothing of the Dog, and putting it off because I rarely like contemporary books. But I've also heard good things about it.
-I read Notes From the Tilt-A-Whirl recently and it was exactly what the doctor ordered. It's the kind of book that would be insufferable if the author didn't have anything to say, but he does, and he says it so well. I would especially recommend it to writers and to people suffering from bereavement. Sometimes the only way to comprehend something is to come at it through a poem, and Wilson does it excellently with the topic of death.
-I read Morning and Evening in 2011 and enjoyed it. December 24th, Evening, was my favourite! Other bits have also gotten into my commonplace book.

Hope that has inspired you to get stuck into at least half of your reading list!

Radagast said...

Yes, To Say Nothing of the Dog is worth reading.

Lydia H. said...

Looks like you are making good progress. I have a 2012 reading list started and have finished or nearly finished four of the books. But I am hoping to read 22-25 books this year so I have a ways to go. Thanks for sharing your list!

I am curious to know your thoughts on the Pearl's book as well.