Sunday, January 21, 2007

A quick post: What do you want to read this year?

I wanted to post more often. But when I start writing something, I end up going through at least two or three drafts before I'm half-way satisfied. I have several things in the works as I type this....and they're not looking ready yet! I said I wasn't a perfectionist...should I rethink that?!

So. Time for some reader participation. What books do you want to read this year?

Here's what I'm thinking of trying:

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Pebble in a Pool by Elizabeth Yates (bio of Dorothy Canfield Fisher)

Getting Serious About Getting Married by Debbie Maken

Shakespeare play

Till we have faces by C.S. Lewis

Eternity in our hearts by R.C. Sproul Jr.

The School of Obedience by Andrew Murray

Poetry (Robert Frost, Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

Discipline: The Glad Surrender by Elisabeth Elliot

3 comments:

Lydia H. said...

Looks like a neat list, Kara.
So, you want to read, "Getting Serious About Getting Married?" I did too! I have heard some pretty negative things about it and after reading some descriptions and reviews on Amazon I don't know that I will agree with many of the author's points but it does look like an interesting book. Speaking of this book, I also want to read, "Did I Kiss Marriage Good-bye" by Carolyn McCully. I have heard more positive things about this book. I also really enjoy her blog, Solo Femininity.

Hmmm, other books I have been wanting to read:

1) The Treasure Priniciple by Randy Alcorn

2) Knowing God by J.I. Packer

3) The Lord of the Rings trilogy by JRR Tolkien

4) Something by Elisabeth Elliot, probably either Passion and Purity or Let Me Be a Woman

5) Something by G.K. Chesterton
(upon your recommendation) :)
Have you read his book, "Orthodoxy?" John Dekker had it listed on his reading list over on his blog.

6) Teaching the Trivium by Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn

7) Something about ethics or medical ethics from a Christian viewpoint. Any suggestions?

Numerous others...
I better get busy!

Kara Dekker said...

Looks like a good list, Lydia.

I haven't heard negative things about "Getting Serious...", but then I don't get around much on the net either. I found out about it from a magazine I receive, Credenda/Agenda. Nancy Wilson had a positive review there. I'll let you know what I think once I read it. :)

No, I haven't read "Orthodoxy". I've read a lot of Chesterton's essays (my favorite collection was Tremendous Trifles) and most of his mysteries. The "Father Brown" series is good, and "The Man Who was Thursday" is quite odd, but interesting.

You definitely should read the "Lord of the Rings". It's one of my top 5 favorite fiction books. Actually, I'm re-reading it right now!

Sorry, I don't have any ethics recommendations.

Thanks for commenting!

John Dekker said...

Actually, two and a half years on, I've still only read three out of those six. :(